Sunday 25 April 2021

Pacifism.


Today is ANZAC Day and we had an Act of Remembrance in church complete with the Last Post.

While I do not disagree with remembering those who died and suffered in war I object to being told I am a disgrace because I am a Pacifist.

My father was injured in a plane crash in World War II but when he returned he received no sympathy for his injuries or the incapacitating after-effects of the war. 

He was permanently scarred and never really recovered.

He died in his 60s.

But my generation has been shamed and bashed because of their Pacifist beliefs.

The older generation think that we are disrespecting those who fought and died in war.

But that is not what was intended.

Our objection was to war itself and the use of ANZAC Day to justify war.

The Vietnam War was a foreign war against a phantom Communist threat.

My generation did not feel compelled to fight.

We were accused of attacking Vietnam veterans on their return from the war.

But I have never seen anyone of my generation attack a veteran.

Rather we felt sorry for them.

They may have felt excluded.

But they were never attacked.

And so another ANZAC Day has come.

But the conflict is not resolved.

The older generation will go to Heaven feeling justified.

And my generation will feel justified as Pacifists.


No comments:

Post a Comment