Sunday 12 August 2018

Heaven.


At first when I read the parable of The Laborers in the Vineyard  I thought that the daily wage (the penny in some translations) referred to the afterlife - i.e. that everyone would receive the same in Heaven.

But I now think it refers to the recompense that people receive on earth.

The daily wage (or penny) was a living wage - i.e. it was enough to live on - and everyone was to receive enough to live on no matter how much work (or whatever work) they had done.

It is a model for workplace relations.

The reason that I have changed my position on the afterlife is because elsewhere Jesus speaks about rewards in Heaven.

I am loath to use the word rewards because it suggests its opposite - punishments - as well.

I do not believe that God punishes anyone.

So there can be no hell.

But there may still be a Heaven.

It would appear that God makes reparation for our sufferings on earth.

Undeserved persecution and attacks which we experience on earth are repaid in Heaven.

God would also appear to make requital for our services on earth.

The good and loving actions that we perform on earth are also repaid in Heaven.

So there is no hell.

But there may be reparation and requital in Heaven. 


Photo Credit: Faces of Ancient Europe Flickr via Compfight cc

No comments:

Post a Comment