Thursday 27 July 2017

Church.


When I was thirteen I refused to be confirmed in the Christian Church because my experience of institutional Christianity did not match my intuitive understanding of Jesus or God.

Like many of my generation I got involved with Eastern religion through Yoga and learned many helpful and enlightening practices.

But something was wrong.

And I set out to discover what was wrong with the world by studying mythology and ancient religions.

Eventually my experience led me back to the Christian Church.

The study of modern scholars and progressive theologians was very helpful to my development.

What I have learnt from Progressive Christianity is that without forgiveness there can be no progress.

Jesus is the epitome of forgiveness.

Other lessons I have come to appreciate are:

Putting others before ourselves liberates us from the relentless self-obsession which is the source of much of our suffering.

Gratitude for the spiritual assistance I have been given deepens my relationship with God.

But it is the practice of unconditional love that leads to the sanctuary - our heart of hearts - and union with God.

Jesus taught us to love God and love our neighbor.

So, far from rejecting Jesus and Christianity, I have found a way through the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth to form a closer relationship with God.


Photo Credit: joseph a Flickr via Compfight cc

No comments:

Post a Comment