Sunday 27 August 2023

Pleasing God.


"For thus says the Lord.
To the eunuchs who keep my sabbaths,
who choose what pleases me
and hold fast to my covenant,
I will give, in my house and within my walls,
a monument and a name
better than sons and daughters;
I will give them an everlasting name
that shall not be cut off."  Isaiah 56:4.5 (NRSV)

"'And the one who sent me,
he has not left me alone,
for I always do what is pleasing to him.'"  John 8:29 (NRSV)

"make you complete in every good so that you may do his will, 
working among us that which is pleasing in his sight."  Hebrews 13:21 (NRSV)

But what are the things which please God?

"He has told you, O mortal, what is good;
and what does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, to love kindness, 
and to walk humbly with your God?"  Micah 6:8 (NRSV)

"Did not your father eat and drink
and do justice and righteousness?
Then it was well with him.
He judged the cause of the poor and needy;
is not this to know me? says the Lord.
But your eyes and heart 
are only for dishonest gain,
for shedding of innocent blood,
and for practising oppression and violence."  Jeremiah 22:15,16 (NRSV)

"learn to do good;
seek justice,
rescue the oppressed,
defend the orphan,
plead for the widow."  Isaiah 1:17 (NRSV)

"You shall not oppress a resident alien;
you know the heart of the alien,
for you were aliens in the land of Egypt."  Exodus 23:8 (NRSV) 

These are just a few of the verses in the Bible that point us towards what is pleasing to God.

Goodness, honesty, justice, truthfulness, mercy, tolerance, courage, charity, non-violence, forgiveness, generosity, advocacy, compassion, endurance, perseverance, faith, and love. 


Photo Credit: R. C. Sproul.

No comments:

Post a Comment