Friday 17 May 2019

Hate 1.


Why do so many teenagers hate their parents?

I know that I hated my father for along time.

Although I didn't know why.

The reason, I later discovered, was because I felt he didn't love me as I thought he should.

He was cold and distant.

And I felt unloved.

And the prospect of entering a world without love was unbearable.

So I hated him.

But eventually I came to realize that this was not entirely his fault.

His father had died when he was three years old and his stepfather was a strict disciplinarian.

His mother had nearly died in childbirth and she would chase his stepfather around the house with a knife if he tried to make love to her.

This instilled a lot of fear in my father.

And he never developed the capacity to show love to others.

Therefore he couldn't love us.

So I forgave him.

After that I saw my father as a fellow human being, scarred like the rest of us, who had done the best he could.

He provided for our family and at least he didn't abuse us.

And my hate was gone.   


Photo Credit: Abaraphobia Flickr via Compfight cc

No comments:

Post a Comment